Watercolor Backgrounds

Hi crafty friends! Thanks for hopping through to my blog today. Our theme this week is "Watercolor", so I'm showcasing some backgrounds made with the Brutus Monroe aqua pigments. This first card was made with the colors Blue, Green, and Black.



I used a thick flat brush to make the largest strokes of plaid with the Blue aqua pigment. Then I mixed together Blue and Green aqua pigment to get the teal shade and used a thinner round brush to make those strokes. Then I used Black with the smallest brush. This was a great easy background to make, and you could really combine any colors to fit any occasion!



For the second background, I used Red, Yellow, Green and Blue aqua pigments to make a rainbow effect.



I mixed Yellow and Red to get the orange shade, Blue and Green to get the teal shade, and Blue and Red to get the purple shade. If you like to try things out before committing to a whole set, I highly recommend buying primary colors (Red, Yellow, Blue), because you can mix plenty of shades from those to see if the medium fits your style. I took a dry paintbrush and basically just squiggled my paintbrush across the page in each color and dried it. After that, I used the pigments and a wet paintbrush to go back over and blend the colors together a little more.



Once the background was dry, I place the Jagged Heart stencil over it and secured them down with purple tape. I used glitter glaze in the shades Raspberry, Pumpkin, Lemon, Lime, Berry and Grape to create a coordinating rainbow of hearts through the stencil. Over the teal color, I mixed together the Lime and Berry shades on my glass mat before applying to the hearts.


For the last project, I used the aqua pigment colors Blue and Red. I used plain Blue, and then mixed Red and Blue together to make a more purple tone.



I wanted the background to look really frosty, so I mixed the Pearl aqua pigment into each color. I wet the aqua pigment paper thoroughly, and created a wash of the blue and purple shimmery colors. I dried and repeated three times to get a really dark wintery look. When the panel was dry, I used the Paint Spots stencil and the Fallen Snow glitter glaze. When the glitter glaze was dry, I used the largest die from the 5-piece Stitched Tags to cut the background. I also cut a plain white tag from Alabaster cardstock. I find that double-layering the tag gives it extra stability, and also a clean back to write on.



I embossed the sentiment on a strip of Raven cardstock using Alabaster EP, and secured it to the tag. The little reindeer guy is from the "Oh Deer" stamp set, and I stamped him onto aqua pigment paper using Raven detail ink, and colored him using Brown, Yellow and Black aqua pigments. I adhered the white tag to the back, and used my crop-a-dile to insert an eyelet into the top of the tag. I finished it off with some black and white polka dot ribbon, and a black twine bow.

I really enjoy the aqua pigments! They are very easy to use either straight out of the bottle or adding water. The colors are beautiful, and if you watch some of Christopher's live videos on his YouTube channel, there are big things coming soon in the world of aqua pigments. I hope you share some of your creations on social media, and don't forget to use the hashtags #BrutusMonroe and #CreateYourOwnEnding so we can all see!

Hope on over to Waleska's blog next!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brutus Monroe & Unity Stamps Blog Hop

Brutus Monroe Trick or Treat!

Japanese Water Lanterns - HAI Supply & Pear Blossom Press Collaboration Hop!